Saturday, November 30, 2019

Book Review: The Super Life of Ben Braver

Title: The Super Life of Ben Braver
Author: Marcus Emerson
ATOS BL: 4.1
Interest Level: Middle Grade, Grades 4 to 8

This is my son's new favorite.
I like how it's written. If you put yourself in the shoes of an 11-year-old (as is the lead character), the settings, the habits, the choice of words and sentence structure is relatable.

It can be a bit dark...

Quote 1:
"Dear Diary,
Today I died.
Sincerely,
Ben "

...but it's also very funny...

Quote 2: "BTW, peanut butter cups are my fave. I love them, but... would I marry one? Probably not, but only because my second love, the PB&J sammie, would get jelly. Get it? Jelly?"
Call me shallow but I laughed out loud on that one ðŸ¤£

...with lessons to be learned...

Quote 3: "Being a superhero is more than having powers -- it's about the struggles and the choices heroes have to make. It's about deciding to do the right thing even when the right thing is the hardest thing to do."


No comments:

Post a Comment